Friday, April 10, 2009

I ♥ Faces - Constructive Feedback Friday!!!

IHeartFaces has decided to take a break from the Fix-It-Fridays and try a different approach - a Constructive-Feedback-Friday!!! The first 50 people who link their photo into Mr. Linky today will get I ♥ Faces contributors to visit their site and comment with constructive feedback! So I said to myself - HECK YEAH - SIGN ME UP!!! So here's my pic - literally! Its a self portrait (or attempt at one) !!!



1) Please choose only one photo that you have already edited. You can have multiple edits of that particular photo in your post...but please only feature one photo in your post.

Here's my edited pic:



Here's the original pic:


2) You will need to put our I ♥ Faces button or our special "Constructive Feedback" button in your blog post. (Done!!!!)

3) It'd be wonderful if you put the EXIF data for your photo in your blog post. (This tells you what your aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focal length were when you took the shot. An example: f/6.3 1/100 sec ISO 100 230 mm) ( I used a Cannon Rebel XT and used PhotoShop Elements 5.0 to edit it. I'm not sure what the rest of this stuff means, but here's the rest of the details ... f/4 , 1/60 sec. , ISO-400 , 28mm ... It would be AWESOME if someone could tell me excatly what this stuff means or why its important? - or maybe suggestion some reading that could educate myself a little more!!! Thanks a million - I always feel SO lost when it comes to these photography terms and things! Also, I took this inside - not much natural light and flash was used.)

4) Please let us know what exactly it is that is bothering you about your edited photo. (Is the skin tone off? Does the overall color in the photo just feel too warm? Do you feel like the crop job could be better? etc.) Whatever it is, let the people who visit your post today know what you think the problems are with your photo. (The skin tone is definitely off and the color seems to reddish maybe? And a little too bright ... Everytime I tried to adjust any of this stuff, it seemed to throw something else off ... I did sharpen the eyes and adjust the brightness & contrast some ... But I didn't do much else... I just feel like there's lots wrong with this pic - I just can't pinpoint all of the things ... )


So there we have it - Bring on the suggestions and comments and advice and everything else in between ...

Thanks SO much in advance!!!

3 comments:

Drew said...

There is a series of tutorials on all the settings on your camera on iheartfaces. I know it's extremely overwhelming at first, but understanding the aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focal length can make a huge difference in your photography. They all work together so knowing them helps you achieve what you want from the picture whether it be a beautiful blurry background or an action shot, etc. Another useful thing I learned about my camera was reading the histogram. This was also explained on iheartfaces by (I think) Elaine Heasley. Check out the tutorials section. I think you'll find some really clear explanations. I also go to Pioneer Woman's site for useful photography tips.

I'm quite impressed with how much your were able to change the photo from the original. The flash caused quite a bit of wash-out, and I feel like you were very effective at getting the details back. Now that you have a good base, I'd try a hue adjustment layer and/or color curves adjustment to remove some of the red. I'd then selectively soften some areas. Rita from Coffeeshop has free Elements actions. One you might be interested in for this photo is Powder Room 2. It has a layer that when a white brush is used on it, it will soften the skin wherever you "paint".

Hope I've helped in some way. :)

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I was going to suggest the same thing as drewmark19...we have a bunch of tutorials written for everything you were asking about. Just click on the tutorials button in the left-hand column of our website.

For anyone wanting to become a better photographer, I would highly recommend turning off your flash. Immediately! Right now! :) The on-camera flash that we all have is horrible on faces - makes them washed out and gives us all an awful glow. To become a better photographer you have got to take the plunge and start learning to take photos without the flash on.

That's my big "tip of the day." ;)

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

Anonymous said...

I agree, I would start reading some of the tutorials. But if you want some great learning in a fun and easy manner, I highly suggest the 'Digital Photography" books from Scott Kelby. You learn what to do like you are out on a shoot with him, he doesn't ever get too technical.

If there are ever certain things in particular you want to know about, please feel free to email me and I'll help you out.

B Dad